Information for the Role of Assistant Stock & Sales Manager with Devon Timber:
Devon Timber is a trading name of White Wood Management which has grown from a small self-employed ‘one man band’ with a modest annual sales of £8,393 to a team of twelve (one full time and five part-time staff & seven self-employed associates) and an annual turnover of £139,000 after just 11 years of trading.
The vision of the business is to work with small, private woodland owners and those in the public and charitable sectors in the region to help promote:
- Establishment of new woodland and associated wildlife
- Sustainable, economic management of existing woodlands
- Sale and utilisation of timber from these sites (now through its own Devon Timber brand)
- Engagement of people in meaningful employment, training and voluntary activities to help achieve the above
The consistent aim throughout is to help meet human interests with those of the natural world; recognising that broadleaved woodland and forest biomes offer habitats best suited to help reconcile these needs
Now in its twelfth year with a major relocation and grant aided expansion project behind it, the business is now looking to employ its first additional full-time (or full-time equivalent) role. This job comes within the first year of the launch of a new trading name, Devon Timber, for the roundwood, sawn and processed timber sales related elements of the business; while White Wood Management will continue as the trading name for service related aspects (including woodland advisory and management work, contract mobile sawmilling and processing, kiln drying and visual stress grading) of its operations.
The role of Assistant Stock and Sales Manager (click here for the full job description) is offered as a development post in one of a number of possible ways depending upon the availability, interest and suitability of candidates for the role (Please refer to separate document “Options for working hours as Stock and Sales Asst Manager with WWM” for further info). It might be offered:
- As a full time post (our preferred option) – for a suitably qualified professional (who already has an established and successful track record in forestry and timber sales related sectors – already living or relocating to Devon) looking to take on new challenges with a growing business operating in and around one of Britain’s premier rural landscapes and primary production areas.
- As a job share – for two persons with complementary skills and background in sales and timber related work.
- As a co-worker role for two or three people looking to hone and develop their skills in the timber sector providing a 1.3 Full Time Equivalent role combined.
Whilst much is asked and expected of the potential candidate(s) (click here for the full candidate spec.) for the modest salary initially available there will be training opportunities to help fill gaps in skills and knowledge through hands-on, in-house and formal training along with the flexibility to pursue a forestry or arboricultural related apprenticeship, in parallel with the role, for those that need it.
Subject to a successful three-month probationary period and review of the post after six months the appointee(s) is expected to become a more permanent member of the team with increased renumeration in line with the business’ equitable, fair-wage policy. (Click here for the full employment particulars.)
Applications are invited for the above role – download the separate form “WWM and DT Blank Job Application Sept 2020” save to your own computer. You can print it off, complete by hand and send it by post (to the address given below) or complete digitally and send by e-mail to: email@example.com .
- Timetable for recruitment:
- Friday 04/09/20: Job Description/Particulars of Employment/Application Form Release Date
- Monday 21/09/20: Deadline for Applications to be Received by E-mail or Post
- Monday 28/09/20: Notification of Call for Interview (by e-mail or phone)
- Wednesday 07/10/20: Interviews (in person in Devon)
- Friday 09/10/20: Appointment of post (subject to notice required)
For more information or any queries about the post please contact Jim White: By Phone on 07974 217168 / 01647 450171 or by E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
All completed applications are to be e-mailed to email@example.com
or sent by post to:
WWM/DT Job Application
48 Northfield Road
Applications must be received no later than the end of Monday 21/09/20